Monday, December 13, 2010

And pretty succulents all in a row!

I want to talk about an idea that has taken hold of me:




SUCCULENTS!!!!!!


How about a big OORAH for my first inspiration board!!! Took me about 30 minutes to make! (I'm not a marine, nor is anyone I know, but it felt like an oorah moment)

Succulents are everywhere right now, but it's one idea that I'm totally ok with not being original on because they're a really nice classic touch... if not classic now, I think they'll continue to be used forever. Newsflash, they're another possible DIY element!!

Now, Kyle and I are no strangers to succulents. While I have never been able to keep a cactus alive, we are proud parents to about 20-25 aloe plants that started out as 3 aloe plants. Sooo, I guess when I say proud parents, I mean parents, grandparents, great grandparents, great great grandparents, and great great great grandparents. That's right, I get super excited every single time another of our aloe plants has a baby.



Well... now we are the proud parents of our own flower-shaped succulents!!!





Whoo hoo!! Now, at the rate our aloe had babies (I'm sorry to say, we had to sacrifice a lot... we just don't have enough pots!) We could have enough to use these as favors and/or bouts and/or aisle decoration and/or bouquet accompaniment and/or centerpiece decoration!! They don't technically fit into our color scheme, but they do fit with the overall theme of earthy, woodsy, organic-ness.

Anyway, my favorite application is in boutonnieres and bouquets, so if nothing else, we can use them for that. But we can decide as we get closer, depending on how well they're growing by then. Exciting, right?? I also got Kyle a new bonsai, a little juniper. He's a huge fan of bonsai and I got him one a year ago, but it was a very fickle, very delicate bonsai and we just couldn't keep it alive; we think it got mites :( Junipers are heartier and if it's still alive in a year, look for its appearance somewhere in the wedding! I would love it to be at the same table during our ceremony where we'll light our unity candle...

Is anyone else as excited as I am when new DIY opportunities present themselves??

No comments:

Post a Comment